- Learn much more about web design and web architecture.
- Figure out good ways of putting theory into practice.
- Keep abreast of developing trends in the (various design-related–i.e. instructional design, interaction design, game design, etc.) field(s).
- Figure out ways the best ways to utilize my existing professional skillset in this field I’m about to go into.
- Gain a better understanding of the structure of the field. What are general categories of specialization, or professional tracks?
- Gain a better understanding of the (general, or generalized) trajectory of a career in this field. If there are fairly well-defined professional tracks, what does advancement look like, and on what kind of time scale? (And is there a general characterization one can make about the field’s approach to work-life balance?)
- Gain a better sense of what basic skills I should have–what tools I should be able to utilize, what software and systems I should know–after leaving the program and entering the field.
- Consider more learning environments for adults (as opposed to the primary, middle and high school environments we so often consider in the program).
- Consider more learning environments (and/or technologies) for the learning disabled.
- Learn how to better conduct academic research in this field.
[Things I need to learn and uncertain terms in green.]
Seattle Eastside AAA Gaming Studio
Seeking a talented and passionate game writer. As a writer on the series, you will be part of the team responsible for driving the creation the game story. The ideal candidate is an experienced multi-media story-teller with excellent competency in game writing and a passion for the series narrative.
The writer will be relied upon to collaborate across the team to bring the game story to life.
- Under the supervision of the Narrative Director, a writer is responsible for developing the story, pitching scenes, writing scripts and refining game pacing.
- Be familiar with the current state of game writing across a wide range of genres across all platforms.
- Help us push our narrative design further by identifying issues and offering solutions.
- Provide a receptive ear so that other team members can offer input on the game story and narrative design.
- Evolve the narrative pipeline.
- Evangelize the game story and narrative vision to the team.
- Contribute to Game franchise writing.
- 2+ years experience as a writer or narrative designer
- Must have shipped at least one AAA game.
Education, Professional Training, Technical Training or Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent game writing experience.
- Knowledge of cinema and cinematic techniques.
- Understanding of voice directing and editing techniques.
- Excellent understanding of 1st and/or 3rd person game-writing.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent understanding of [sic]
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Passion for first-person shooters and multiplayer gameplay.
- Passion for strong, character-driven game story content.
- Experience with game editors and scripting systems
- Enthusiasm for the series and passion for the story.
- Ability to work and contribute effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Writing sample